The rabids are a rock and punkrock band from a small town called: Wiekevorst, in the province of Antwerp, Belgium. I have had the opportunity in the past to watch their shows and know some of the guys personally.
Last week I have also had the opportunity to do an interview with them and here’s what has come out of it.
1) Introduce yourself shortly:
We are the Rabids, with Senna Laureys on the bass, Yannick Zwijsen on guitar,
Kristof De Wel on the drums and Jentof Saelen on guitar and vocals.
2) Which genre do you play?
We play Punkrock and Rock&roll
3) Have you done many gigs already?
We have been playing shows in bars and at festivals around de Kempen since 2017.
4) Do you make your own music, or do you play covers?
We do both! :p
5) When playing covers, do you give them a little twist of your own and how do you do that part of the job?
We play some songs from the 90s and 2000s era of punkrock and keep those as close to the original as we can. Older songs like ‘Leaving on a Jetplane’ and ‘Land Down Under’ are played a lot faster than the original.
What has influenced you to start playing the instrument you’re playing? (Each person can answer this question personally.)
Jentof started playing guitar around the time he was 14 while starting a highschool band with some friends. Yannick decided to start playing guitar after the first time he heard an Offspring song. Senna was inspired by music and aspired to play live on a stage so he started out on guitar, but then quickly realised his passion for playing bass. Kristof started at a young age, he got a toy drum kit for St. Nicholas. Eventually he started at the music academy to learn the tricks of the trade. A few months after graduating from the academy I got an invitation to try out in a local punk band. After the first rehearsal I was immediately sold and here we are now, a few years later with our first EP
8) Who are the artists that you admire most and did they have any influence on your choices, in both your personal life and the musicians world?
Bands like Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX, Stray Cats etc. have a big influence on our music. On a personal level you could say they give inspiration to stand for what you believe in and follow your passion.
7) How have you met each other? (Band question)
Senna, Kristof and Jentof all live in Wiekevorst, and everyone kind of knows everyone there. Jentof met Yannick in Mechelen where they used to work as colleagues.
8) Where do you get the inspiration for writing your songs?
90s and 2000s punkrock and a little bit of 80s heavy metal and 50s rock&roll influence the music. Writing sessions mainly involve drinking a lot of beer.
9) Are you going to festivals or concerts just for and enjoying to see other bands play?
We all visit festivals like Groezrock and Sjock, but also lots of small scale local festivals. Whenever any band we love announces a concert nearby, we try to be there.
10) What if someone invites you to play a gig in another country? Would you consider playing in another country?
Yes ofcourse hehe
11) What is your opinion about today’s music?
There’s lots of good and lots of bad, depending on personal taste as well.
12) What do you think of the older music, bands, musicians, that our parents or even our grandparents grew up with?
We love rock&roll from the 50s and 60s, metal from the 80s and punkrock from the 90s and 2000s. Among lots of other stuff!
13) What’s your opinion about other music genres, other then the ones you are playing or listening to?
There is such a huge variety in music genres these days so there is something for everyone out there, depending on your taste and personal preference. We believe all music that proves real thought and dedication went into it, has the right to exist and to be listened to and appreciated.
14) What useful information would you give other starting bands about the life of a musician?
Do it for the love of music and the enjoyment of performing it with your best friends.
15) To wrap it all up: What are your goals and what would you really wanna achieve as a musician?
Keep doing what we’re doing as best as we can and we’ll see where it takes us.