A couple of days ago I had the fantastic chance to do an interview with the Belgian metal legends of the great band: Fireforce.
As many of the metal fans around probably will know this great legendary band, a big introduction won’t be necessary. Everything you don’t know yet, is now to be revealed in this interview. The guys from this amazing band give you a great tour through their existence and the plans they still have.
New album: Rage Of War, Out now!
- Rage Of War
- March or Die
- Ram It
- Forever In Time
- Army Of Ghosts
- Rats In A Maze
- A Price To Pay
- From Scout To Liberator
- Blood Judge
With their new album freshly released, the guys of Fireforce are probably eager to spread him into the world. Thanks to the unusual time were going through, however, that’s not quite relevant. Is there perhaps a better way to get it spread into world, as fast as the virus itself does? Of course there is. Internet. I had the amazing opportunity to interview the fellas, and here’s what has been said:
1) Introduce yourself shortly:
Erwin Suetens, guitarplayer and founder of Fireforce.
Matt Hawk, Guitar player and singer of Fireforce, lead guitarist in Nightmare, and Session Guitar player with ACOD, and proud dad.
2) Which genre do you play?
Erwin: You mean the band? Combat Metal. A mixture between power and thrash metal with historical lyrics.
Matt: What Erwin said. And personally Heavy Metal all the way, and blues when I live through dark moments…
3) Have you done many gigs already?
Erwin: Fireforce played about 180 gigs until now. I did in total about 400 in my musical carreer.
Matt: In total around 350 since 10 years all around the world. None until now with Fireforce be-cause of the C-thing.
4) Do you make your own music, or do you play covers?
Erwin: We play our own music, no covers. We recorded though on two of our albums a coversong… Just for fun. Sometimes I play some coversongs at home, just to practice some new stuff.
Matt: I make covers only online, to make some Feeds with Facebook or IG, otherwise I really like to create and make my own music.
5) When playing covers, do you give them a little twist of your own and how do you do that part of the job?
Erwin: We keep it pretty much like it should be on a recording, but with a “fire”twist, haha!
Matt: If I work on some covers, its only to train on the vocal feeling, I don’t do covers with the guitars.
6) What has influenced you to start playing the instrument you’re playing?
Erwin: I grew up in the eighties, and saw all those great bands perform. I like to create things, and that music, mainly the guitar, was a way to do this…
Matt: Through my father. I found some old pictures in a closet, showing my father with a guitar acting like a Rockstar. From there I said I wanna do that too!
7) Who are the artists that you admire mostly and did they have any influence on your choices, in both your personal life and the musicians world?
Erwin: My list of admired musicians would be very long. They have an influence on me due to the fact that I use them as a benchmark.
Matt: Stallone is my main mentor in my personal life, and in music I have a few ones, Nikki Sixx, Mike Ness, Phil Lynott
8) How have you met each other?
Erwin: We met through the years. For example, I know our bass player Serge since 1983 when we started our first band. Christophe, our drummer came to the band in 2012, and in that same year I learned to know Matt during a tour. He came to the band in 2020.
Matt: We first met in 2012 during a small tour with Nightmare, Crimson Glory and Fire-force. The rest is history.
9) Where do you get the inspiration for writing your songs?
Erwin: By seeing movies, reading books, visiting historical places, visiting musea.
Matt: I use my life and my past lives to create my own world.
10) Are you going to festivals or concerts just for fun and enjoying to see other bands play?
Erwin: Yes I do. I love more the little concerts instead of the big festivals, it’s cozier.
Matt: To be honest i don’t have time to go there anymore, but yes I really enjoy seeing my friends on stage.
11) What if someone invites you to play a gig in another country? Would you consider playing in another country?
Erwin: More than 35% of the Fireforce gigs was already in another country, so yes.
Matt: I played all over the world for 10 years now, so no comment…
12) What is your opinion about today’s music?
Erwin: I have no feeling with other modern genres than metal or good rock music.
Matt: I guess young people nowadays listen to shitty music, with non-organic music feeling at all. That’s the main problem. Connecting young people to rock is becoming very hard.
13) What do you think of the older music, bands, musicians, that our parents or even our grandparents grew up with?
Erwin: Classical music is ok, but please no schlagerstuff…
Matt: My father grew up with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. No words needed…
14) What’s your opinion about other music genres, other then the ones you are playing or listening to?
Erwin: Tastes differ…no more comment.
Matt: I listen to many kinds of music, but my favorite genre is metal of course!
15) What useful information would you give other starting bands about the life of a musician?
Erwin: Be a strong person, you will need it.
Matt: Don’t ever play rock ‘n’roll, it’s a goddamn mistake.
16) To wrap it all up: What are your goals and what would you really wanna achieve as a musician?
Erwin: I want to leave a legacy. When I’m long gone, people should stumble over my name and remember me. On the other hand, like said before, I like to create. And when people like my creations, it’s a win-win.
Matt: I really wanna create feeling to the people, share some good moments, and have fun.
So now you know more about the band and its members. If you still want to find out more or listen to their iconic music, check following links: